Burnley 1-0 Manchester City

Published on March 14th, 2015 | by Daniel Cheeseman

Burnley 1-0 Manchester City | Dan Cheeseman

“Enough’s Enough”

Champions of England? I honestly wouldn’t blame anyone for mistaking City as being the team who are in the relegation zone today, as that performance was absolutely dire.

So that this blog doesn’t end up being as long as an essay on how well Shakespeare engages with the audience in Macbeth II, I’ve decided to just quickly sum up my thoughts below:

• 4-4-2 – need I say more?
  • City never stamped their authority in the game at any point; it looked more like a match between 2 mid-table teams that have nothing to play for
  • Martin Demichelis had what was probably his worst performance this season, constantly committing silly fouls and making the wrong decisions, which is strange considering he has just signed a 1-year contract extension
  • There were 3 changes in the defence which played against Leicester, which means that Pellegrini still doesn’t have a settled back 4
  • The team on the whole looked lethargic and unmotivated, despite just coming back from a 10-day break
  • There was no need to play 2 up front again – Aguero always plays better as a lone striker and we missed the extra creativity that Samir Nasri offers in midfield
  • There was no sense of urgency when Burnley took the lead, and this has been a recurring theme this season
  • The substitutions were completely pointless, and I have to say it smacked of desperation on Manuel Pellegrini’s part
  • If we play like we did today against Barcelona on Wednesday night, I’m convinced they’ll easily put 5 or 6 past us
  • I’ve already resigned myself to the fact that we’re not going to win the league this year, so now it’s a question of whether or not we’ll finish in the top 4

As I said before, I could literally go on all night about how poor City were today and in the past few weeks, but if I did I’d just be repeating what I’ve said in my previous blogs.

I’m well aware that many people will disagree with most, if not all, of what I’ve said in this blog, but I don’t think anybody can deny that things aren’t going anywhere near as well as they could or should be at Manchester City at this moment in time.

CTID

About the Author

9 Responses to Burnley 1-0 Manchester City | Dan Cheeseman

1. SB says:

I think the most depressing aspect of this performance, was that to see us struggle against Burnley away from home was hardly a shock.

I didn’t fancy us to perform today and we haven’t. I love Manuel for what he delivered last year, but your points about 4-4-2 and the lack of a settled back four are valid points. Worryingly, they’ve been valid points (formation especially) for a long, long time.

Horrible performance today, and if we write off this season and look at the next…do we trust MP in the transfer market?

2. Frank Middleton says:

Spot on in every respect Dan, they were a shambles.

3. Sean says:

Dan – totally agree. to add to your points it now seems apparent that it’s a Pellegrini tactic to not play the ball out from the back. I saw this creep into our game around 15 games ago. I won’t blame the players it his is down to coaching. If you watch closely the defence – in particular when demechelis plays they all turn their backs and walk away giving the goalkeeper no options. This approach of playing from the back should be instilled in coaching – it’s obviously not happening.

Another point about coaching is our set pieces are woeful – enough said.

When we had the Italian based coaching staff in place we played great football. The Spanish management obviously fell out with the Italians and we got in place a Spanish speaking coach . I think he’s out of his depth and seems to miss obvious things that occur during the game. I can never understand his substitutions and he never reacts to the opposition. It also doesn’t seem a happy camp at the moment – looks like Milner has had enough and no doubt Nasri has said something as we’ve not seen him since the Liverpool game.

Pellegrini was introduced as a manger with an “holistic” approach to youth – we’ve had Nastastic sold – Rekik and Lopez not considered this year and all promising starlets out on loan rather than playing in cup competitions –

With hindsight it’s now looking like a bad appointment – we need a manger between the age of 45- 55. These managers are old enough to have gained experience but still have the youth and drive to motivate. The best mangers at the moment fall into the category – even Mancini.

4. Darren says:

Lets nip back just a couple of years when Bobby Manc built us up from the back,through midfield and added some on form strikers.We was winning in style,demolishing teams like Burnley 5-0 and we was brimming with confidence.Roberto was sacked over the training ground bust ups and these were only highlighted due to the media having a clear view of our training set up.
    Manuel had inherited a winning forumla,a classy team that could complete 20-30 passes consistantly against even the best teams and has turned us into midtable looking team.Manuel`s signings has not added to the squad in a good way at all,infact they have just wasted hundreds of millions of pounds in making us look average.
    Last week against Leicester we did a job even playing poorly and kept a clean sheet,so why wasnt that back four rewarded with a start against Burnley?.The teams confidance is rock bottom,we look tired and scared to have the ball,at time`s some of the players looked like they was kicking round a bomb yesterday and i bet we played more back passes yesterday than any other game for a couple of years.Long balls were in abundance which really stinks of desperation to me,Mancini had Joe rolling balls to any one of an eager back four to build up play, by pulling out the opposition midfield out and create gaps behind them and defece for Nasri,Silva and Yaya to do their magic.
    The time has come for Manuel to go and give Vieira a chance.

5. Eric says:

Very well summed up. They have given up and don’t have the stomach for the fight. This “we fight till the end” talk from Kompany is looking pretty shallow now. I fear the worst in Spain
    Eric

6. Bob Fasoli says:

Can’t understand your comments about Demichelis. We all thought he was our best defender by some margin. 4-4-2 has worked for lots of teams. Not my prefered system against teams like Barca especially away. But against teams like Burnley, even away should have been perfect. It’s the execution not the system. Pelligini is inept that’s the problem. We were sat here saying wait till 60 minutes for Pelligrin’s substitutes. He ALWAYS does it around that mark, irrespective of it being the right thing or not. If he is not sacked Thursday morning he will be 13th April. That will be the moment will fall out of the top 4 to be replaced by the Reds. That WILL go down “well” with everyone.

• sheriff says:

Totally agreed with you, until city look for a tactical coach with knowledge of modern football and good UEFA CL record then forget it.
      Both peligreni and his assistant are physically and mentaly old this is the best they can offer.

7. Swapnil More says:

Tactically we have been very poor. I have no issues with the 4-4-2 formation but if the players are not playing with any urgency, the formation will hardly matter. When Bony came to city, we thought that he could be the key to our title chase but now we see Dzeko in the starting line up who has hardly done anything this season as compared to Bony who was in fine form. If you are not going to give Bony proper game time, then why did we spend so much on him when we already had Jovetic. Now we must concentrate on top 4 finish otherwise it could turn into a disaster with Arsenal and United not far behind us. As far as match against Barcelona is concerned, I hope we show a bit of character and give them a run for their money.

8. sean Hodgkinson says:

Another point about coaching is our set pieces are woeful – enough said.