Published on January 20th, 2017 | by Daniel Cheeseman0
Gabriel Jesus completes move to City
Manchester City have formally completed the signing of Gabriel Jesus
The 19-year-old joins the club from Palmeiras fresh from helping them win their first Brazilian league title since 1994 and is available for selection for this weekend’s game with Tottenham.
He became the sixth signing of the Pep Guardiola era when he agreed a move in the summer, with City beating off interest from Europe’s biggest clubs to land him.
However, he remained at Palmeiras for the remainder of the Brazilian league season in order to complete his commitments to the side he has played for throughout his professional career.
— Manchester City (@ManCity) January 19, 2017
Career so far
- began his amateur career with Clube Pequeninos do Meio Ambiente aged 8, before moving to Associação Atlética Anhanguera
- joined Palmeiras in 2013 and went on to break the club’s academy goalscoring record with 54 goals in 48 matches – including 37 in 22 in the Campeonato Paulista, Brazil’s under-17 state championships in 2014
- handed his senior debut by Oswaldo de Oliveira on 7 March 2015
- first professional goal came away to Agremiação Sportiva Arapiraquense on 15 July 2015, the winner in a two-legged Copa do Brasil tie
- won his first major piece of silverware in 2015 as Palmerias beat Santos in the Copa do Brasil final
- was awarded the prestigious Golden Boy award by the CBF at the end of the season
- scored 12 goals in 2016 as the team won their first national championship since 1994
- named Bola de Ouro for player of the season
- agreed to join Manchester City in August 2016
- scored three goals in six games as Brazil’s under-23s won Olympic Gold in Rio
- was promoted to the senior Brazil squad (wearing the No. 9 shirt) and scored five goals in six matches, including two on his debut against Ecuador
- Jesus will take the number 33 shirt at City, previously worn by a young Vincent Kompany after his arrival from Hamburg in 2008.
Everyone at MCFC Supporters Club would like to welcome Gabriel to Manchester City and we all wish him well on his career!