Published on February 15th, 2017 | by Daniel Cheeseman0
Man City Women sign US star Carli Lloyd
Manchester City Women have signed two-time FIFA World Player of the Year Carli Lloyd from Houston Dash
The 34-year-old has played in her homeland throughout her club career to date, but the World Cup winner and double Olympic gold medallist joins Nick Cushing’s Super League champions in the hunt for a new challenge.
Lloyd will be with the team until the end of the Spring Series and will feature in the FA Women’s Cup and UEFA Women’s Champions League campaign. She will begin training with the squad in early March.
- Senior international debut in 2005
- 232 appearances for the USA, scoring 96 goals
- Has played for Western New York Flash, Atlanta Beat, Sky Blue FC and Chicago Red Stars amongst others
- Named the US Soccer Athlete of the Year in 2015
- Represented the United States at three World Cups, netting a hat-trick in the 2015 final and voted the tournament’s outstanding player, receiving the Golden Ball
- Helped her country to Olympic gold medals in 2008 and 2012, scoring in both finals
With so many to choose from, Lloyd admitted it is tough to pick her greatest career highlight. She settled on the World Cup victory, but explained it had taken a lot of hard work for her to reach those heights.